We are well into February and sometimes winter seems as if it is never going to come to an end. As the days drag on some people find themselves experiencing the Winter Blues. Have you been experiencing any signs of the Winter Blues?
5 common signs include:
- You find it hard to get up in the morning. You might also find that you want to spend much more time during the day sleeping more than usual.
- You are apathetic and have little, or no energy or desire to do much.
- You are sad for no real reason, and this can be accompanied by anxiety.
- You have difficulty concentrating.
- You have changes in your appetite, often a craving for foods high in carbohydrates.
5 simple coping strategies you can incorporate into your everyday life include:
- Make a conscious effort to engage in activities that make you laugh. Movies, TV shows, books, comedy clubs. Laughter is a wonderful way to boost your
- Get outside as much as you can. Spend time in nature whenever possible.
- Exercise regularly. You don’t have to work out hard as even gentle exercise can make a difference.
- Make your environment as light and bright as you can. Invest in a Light Therapy box or install full spectrum light bulbs in the areas where you spend lots of time.
- USE Essential Oils! Diffuse them; mist them; add them to an inhaler to take with you on the go, or add them to your body cream or lotion! There isn’t just one right oil, or blend of oils. The best oil or blend for you, is the one that lifts YOUR spirits. Experiment a little to find that one that works best for you and then take full advantage of the benefits these wonderful gifts of nature offer.
Some essential oils to consider:
5 Citrus: Bergamot (Citrus bergamia), Grapefruit (Citrus x paradise), Lemon (Citrus x limonum), Mandarin (Citrus reticulate), Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis).
5 Florals: Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), Jasmine (Jasmineum officinale), Neroli (Citrus x aurantium), Rose (Rosa damascene), Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata).
5 Spices: Black Pepper (Piper nigrum), Cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum), Clove (Syzygium aromaticum), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis).
5 Herbs: Basil (Ocimum basilicum), Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea), Lavender (Lavendula angustifolium), Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Peppermint (Mentha piperita).
When it comes to lifting my spirits, my personal all-time favourite essential oil is Grapefruit. Sniffing it on its own or added to a blend is often all that I need.
Grapefruit based blends to try:
Grapefruit 1: 5 drops Grapefruit, 3 drops Mandarin, 2 drops Orange.
Grapefruit 2: 5 drops Grapefruit, 2 drops Geranium, 3 drops Neroli.
Bergamot based blends to try:
Bergamot 1: Bergamot 5 drops, Clary Sage 2 drops, Lavender 3 drops.
Bergamot 2: Bergamot 5 drops; Ginger 2 drops; Juniper 3 drops.
The blends can be used in any one of a number of different ways. They work well in any of the diffuser methods. They can be diluted into a carrier (3% or less for topical use) and used as a perfume, or a body or massage lotion. They can be added to a mister bottle and used as a room spray. (20 drops to 125 ml distilled water, hydrosol, or alcohol).