Scented stones or ornaments are fun and easy to make. They are easily customized to suit any season or occasion, as well as be personalized to fit in our own personal preferences. Scented stones can be used to simply fragrance your home, or they can be packaged up to make a lovely gift. This year I have made some using my Christmas Tree blend and cutting them out in Stars and Hearts.
½ cup plain flour
¼ cup salt
1 tablespoon essential oil/essential oil blend
2/3 cup boiling water
Food coloring if you want to color your stones.
Cookie cutters if you want to create special shapes. You can also use silicone molds or stamps to decorate your scented stones.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add essential oil and boiling water to dry ingredients. The aroma will be strong because of the heat but will fade slightly when the stones are dry.
- If you are coloring your stones, add your food coloring slowly one drop at a time so you get the color you want.
- Blend ingredients to form a ball.
- Working with a small amount at a time, roll dough between the palms of your hands to form a small ball. Alternatively, roll out the dough and cut into interesting patterns with cookie cutters.
- Allow stones to dry. This will take 2 t0 3 days. Depending on the blend you have chosen they can hold their scent for up to 8 months.
- Optional: If you want to hang these up as decorations make a little hole at the top before leaving them to dry.
Ways to Use Scented Stones
- When dry place the stones into a little terra cotta pot and wrap with tulle and tie a bow on top.
- Line the bottom of a clay pot with raffia and put the stones over it to resemble a birds nest.
- Place the stones in a net bag tied with ribbon. Use to scent cupboards and drawers.
- Use as an air freshener for the bathroom, closet, bedroom etc.
- Hang them up on a Christmas Tree or Christmas Garland.
If you are going to Scented Stones as a gift remember that how you package and present your gift can make a real difference. Use your imagination. Create a theme based on the time of the year, your essential oil blend, your favorite colors etc. Tulle, cellophane bags, cellophane wrap, gauze bags, ribbons, feathers, flowers fresh, dried or artificial, herb springs can all be used to customize your packaging to suit the occasion and your taste.