The giving and receiving of an Aromatic Hand Massage can actually be so much more than a beauty treatment. When given with intent it can actually be a profound way to connect with someone. It becomes a meaningful connection for both the giver and the receiver. No fancy tools or techniques are required, just a genuine desire to share a loving touch with another.
Step 1 – Soak
Fill a bowl with warm water, add a drop or two of carrier oil (coconut, jojoba, sweet almond etc.) and soak hands for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water and pat dry.
Step 2 – Hand Scrub
Gently apply a little hand scrub and gently work the mixture into the hand covering the whole hand and fingers. Once this has been worked in gently rinse it off.
Step 3 – Hand Massage
- Gently take the hand in yours.
- On the back of the hand apply a little massage oil or cream and gently work it in.
- Turn the hand over and continue to gently work into the palm, making sure to cover the whole area. You will see how they start to relax as you slowly and gently work into their hand.
- Turn the hand over again and gently word down each of the fingers. Support their hand with your non-dominant hand. Starting at the base of the finger, rub down the finger with the thumb and forefinger of your other hand. First on the front and back of the finger, then repeat down the sides of the finger. Take your time do it slowly. (The way you rub your thumb and forefinger together to show ‘money’ would be the sort of action to use on the fingers.) Work all four fingers and thumb before moving on.
- Now hold their hand with both your hands, your fingers are under their hands, touching their palms. Now gently sweep into their palms with your fingertips and cover as much of the area as you can.
- Place one hand on the top, and one hand on the bottom, of their hand and gently hold their hand between both your palms. Just hold the connection for as long as it feels comfortable.
- Repeat on the other hand.
If you would like to include a full manicure (tending to cuticles, clipping nails, painting them or whatever works best) you would add this in after the hand scrub and finish with the hand massage.
You can certainly use your own recipes and blends for your scrubs and massage oil but here are a couple of suggestions to get you started.
Sugar and Lemon Hand Scrub
4 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Sweet Almond Oil (or carrier of your choice)
18 drops Lemon (Citrus x limon) essential oil
- Combine Sugar and carrier oil in a jar with a screw top.
- Add the essential oil and mix well.
- Label the Jar.
- To use: take 1 teaspoon of the mixture and rub your hands well together. Your hands will feel lovely and soft afterwards.
Soothing Hand Blend for your Aromatic Hand Massage
30 ml (1 oz) Jojoba (you can substitute this with your favourite carrier oil)
6 drops Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia)
3 drops Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
1 drop Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin)
- Blend your essential oil synergy together in a 30ml flip top massage bottle
- Fill with jojoba
- To use: add just as much as you need to have a smooth glide for your hand massage. You will find that you don’t need much which is why I like to use the flip top massage bottle as it is easy to apply very small amounts with.